Cats     |     Dogs     |     Horses     |     Birds     |     Small Pets

Your Pet and

Swiffer WetJet Floor

Cleaning Products

Is Swiffer WetJet floor cleaning products safe for use around
children and pets?


There has been an internet email going around -- regarding the
use of Swiffer WetJet floor cleaning products. The email claims there
is a harmful chemical in the cleaning product that pets pick up
on their feet. When the dog or cat grooms and licks their feet,
they ingest this harmful chemical -- which has resulted in the
death of pets across the country.

Is there any truth to this... or is it just another internet hoax?



In direct response to the e-mail's charge, Procter and Gamble
has posted a rebuttal:

There is a false Internet rumor circulating rapidly among pet
owners alleging that Swiffer WetJet may contain antifreeze
and is harmful to pets. The Wet cloths and WetJet liquid solution
cleaners do not contain antifreeze or any ingredient similar to it.
In fact, all Swiffer products are safe to use around pets.

We evaluated the Swiffer Wet cloths and WetJet cleaners to ensure
they're safe a fact confirmed by the ASPCA, independent veterinarians
and scientists. In fact, for nearly five years, people in over
38 million U.S. homes have safely used Swiffer products on
everything from the kitchen and living room floors to tables and ceiling fans.

We have pets too, and their health and well-being is very important to
us. Please help us stop this rumor by sharing the truth with others.

The ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center has also issued a statement declaring this rumor to be unfounded:

Urbana, IL) May 6, 2004 -- Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA
Animal Poison Control Center have reviewed the claim described
in a widely distributed email alleging a relationship between the
use of Swiffer Wet Jet and liver failure in a dog. The email
alleges that exposure to the ingredients in Swiffer Wet Jet
caused a dog's death.

The Swiffer Wet Jet system contains water (90-100%), propylene
glycol n-propyl ether or propylene glycol n-butyl ether and
isopropyl alcohol (1-4%). These ingredients are safe to use
around pets when used according to label directions and would
not cause liver damage at product concentrations. Propylene
glycol n-butyl/propyl ether differs significantly from ethylene
glycol, the potentially toxic ingredient present in most antifreeze
products. Ethylene glycol is frequently implicated in causing
renal failure in dogs following antifreeze ingestion. Propylene
glycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol n-butyl ether are
very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning products
and do not cause kidney or liver failure.

The ASPCA will continue to monitor this situation and will post
any additional information as it becomes available. Please call
1-888-426-4435 if you have any questions or have a pet that you
suspect is experiencing problems, or visit us at

Tippy & Alfred are concerned about your companion being
poisoned by household cleaning products. They urge you to take
a look at a Totally New line of products that is Safe to use
around pets and young children.

SAFE Pet Friendly Products!    

Select Me to find out more

Tippy & Alfred believe these are the Safest cleaning products
on the market today.

Back to General Pet Care Tips

Custom Search

Free Tippy & Alfred's Pet Newsletter

Gift Ideas for Pet Lovers

Site Map